There are two sides to the coaching business, the coaching side, and the business side. As you probably know, some coaches prefer to spend their time coaching clients rather than creating proposals and invoices.
CoachVantage makes it easy to create and track invoices, making it easy to keep an eye on the financial side of the coaching business. Now, you have more time for coaching clients.
The image shows an overview of the Invoices page in CoachVantage. Go to Main Menu>Invoices.
- The All Invoices page. From here you Create New Invoices, Search existing invoices, Delete, Cancel, View, Edit and Archive invoices.
- The Create New Invoice button that launches a pop-up window to create a new invoice.
- Search any invoice created, based on Invoice Number or Client Name, based on a Date Range. Searched invoices can be filtered and Display by status, such as Sent, Partial, Paid, Draft and Outstanding.
- Invoices that have the box ticked to the left of them can be managed several ways:
- Delete Invoices button, only Draft Invoices can be deleted.
- Cancel Invoices button, cancels an existing invoice that has been sent to a client. When cancelling an invoice, a pop-up window will verify Are you sure you want to cancel Invoices. Click OK to cancel and the invoice will cancelled out, but not deleted.
- The Archive Invoices button will move the invoice to the Archived Invoices page, where it can still be viewed, edited or unarchived.
- The Export Data to CSV button downloads all the data displayed on the All Invoices page in a comma-delimited file to your local download folder. This includes the Invoice Number, Client Name, Invoice Date, Invoice Due Date, Amount and Status as shown below.
The All Invoices page also displays the status of current invoices as shown below. Invoices can be viewed, edited, cancelled and archived using the button menu. Only Draft invoices can be cancelled.
- Displays an invoice that has been Cancelled showing under the Status bar.
- Draft, an invoice that has been created but not yet sent to the customer.
- Sent invoice, awaiting payment.
- Paid status, always good!
- Sent & Overdue. Refer to the Invoice Due Date on the left to see the original due date.
- Button menu opens to Show the invoice, Edit, Cancel or Archive the invoice. Once an invoice has been archived, it is moved to the Archived Invoices page.
- Clicking the Invoice Number opens the invoice.
Create New Invoice
Go to Main Menu>Invoices>All Invoices and click on Create New Invoice. A pop-up opens Create Invoice. Easily create and send the invoice from here.
- The Invoice Number field is automatically populated in chronological order. You can change the invoice number by typing over it. This field is required as indicated by the red asterisk.
- Invoice Date is the date you select as the invoice issue date. Clicking this field opens a drop-down calendar.
- Invoice Due Date is the last date you expect the invoice to be settled by the client. Click the date field to get the drop-down calendar to select the date. The Invoice Due Date is also a required field.
- Enter a Purchase Order No. or Contract Name in this field if required by the client. Select Client Name from the drop-down menu, all client’s names and email addresses will be displayed. Click to select.
- Based on the client’s name, the email field will automatically be populated with the client’s email address as listed in the Contacts.
- You can add additional recipients by clicking the Add Recipient button. You’ll additional fields in the form where you can manually type a person’s name and email address, this does not have to be a client from your contact list.
- Add Item provides space to enter the
- Item Name eg. Career Coaching or other session name.
- Description e.g. one-time session or other description.
- Quantity of sessions, enter the total amount of sessions.
- Price, enter the price per session - Note the final invoice Line Total is a multiplication of the Quantity and Price fields.
- You can apply a Discount % (by percentage) as in a 10% discount that will be deducted from the pre-tax total.
- Sales Tax % (by percentage) if required by your state/country.
- Click Save to capture the information. Click Add Item again if you like to add additional line items.
- The Total displays the final total amount the client will be billed.
- The Close button should only be used when editing already existing invoices. If you click Close before the invoice has been saved you will lose any unsaved changes to the invoice.
- Save as Draft will save the invoice but not send to the client. You can now review, edit or cancel the invoice. The invoice will be added to the All Invoices page with Draft status.
- Preview and Send opens a invoice preview window as shown below where you can review the invoice for accuracy and have the ability to make any edits if needed.
- In the preview you see your company name, logo and address as configured under My Profile>Business Details.
- Name of the client, email address, invoice number, Invoice Date and Due Date. Note: The Draft status will change to SENT once the invoice has been sent to the client.
- Line items displaying the entered information pertaining to this invoice.
- The Pay button – in this case Pay with Paypal, however if you use Stripe as your processor, it will display Pay with Stripe.
- Edit button so you can make changes as needed before sending the invoice.
- Send Invoice button will send the invoice to the client’s indicated email address. When the client opens this invoice, all they have to do is click on the Pay with PayPal button to settle the invoice.
An Invoice can be reviewed by clicking on the Invoice number on the All Invoices page or the Show button in the button menu next to the invoice. Once the invoice is showing, you can manage and modify any items needing to be changed.
- Edit the invoice (open the Edit Invoice window) and variables such as Invoice Number, Invoice Date, Invoice Due Date as well the Reference (PO number or Contract Name) can be changed. You can Add Recipients, Add items, edit or items and change any Notes in the invoice.
- Resend the invoice to the client.
- Print the invoice to have a physical copy.
- View History displays the dates the invoice was Sent, Resent, or Cancelled.
- Displays the Payment History, date when payments or partial payments were made and associated notes.
- Add Payment provides the option to manually record a payment made on the invoice as shown in the image below, and add a note.
Engagement page – Invoices
You can also access client’s current invoices, recurring and archived invoices on the client’s engagement page. Go to Main Menu>Contacts>Clients Name>Invoices to open the Invoices window.
- Click on Invoices to access all invoice information pertaining to the client.
- You can review All Invoices, Recurring Invoices and Archived Invoices by clicking on the links in the sidebar.
- Invoices can be searched using the Invoice Number, Date Range and Status.
- You can manage invoices just like on the invoices page, here Delete Invoice, Archive Invoice or Create New Invoice without having to leave the client engagement page.
- Clicking the button menu on the right opens the pop-up menu for the particular invoice so you can Show the invoice, Edit the existing invoice or Archive the invoice. If it is an invoice that is still in Draft mode, you also have the option to delete the draft invoice.
Go to Main Menu>Invoices>Recurring Invoices
The Recurring Invoices page displays all invoices that have a recurring payment option. You may have a coaching program that offers recurring payments in addition to a lump sum payment or have ongoing coaching engagements that are paid on a monthly or other recurring basis. (See Set up Terms & Conditions and Fees ) for information on configuring recurring payments.)
- Click on Recurring Invoices to view or create a new Recurring Invoice.
- Recurring invoices can be searched using the Client Name or by Select a Date Range.
- Click Create Recurring Invoice to create a new recurring invoice.
Create Recurring Invoice
Clicking Create Recurrent Invoice opens the New Recurring Invoice page where you can enter all required information.
- Select Client Name from the drop-down menu, the client’s email field will automatically be populated.
- You can add additional recipients by clicking the Add Recipient button. Here you can manually type a person’s name and add the email address, this does not have to be a client from your contact list.
- Add Item provides space to enter the Item Name (eg. Career Coaching) and a Description (e.g. Bi-weekly sessions), the Quantity of sessions and Price. Note that final invoice Line Total is a multiplication of the Quantity and Price fields. Add Discount by % if offered (as in a 10% discount) as well as Sales Tax (%) if required by your state/country. Click Save to capture the information. Click Add Item if you want to add additional line items.
- Select the First Invoice Date. Clicking in this field will open a calendar for you to select a date from.
- The Due Date field, click the calendar icon on the right to open the pop-up window to tick either On Date of Issue, After 15 Days, After 30 Days or tick Custom to type in a number of your choice.
- To configure the Billing Total Sessions, click in the field to get a drop-down choice of Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly sessions. You can also select Custom here, as shown which opens another pop-up where you can select Every (a number) and then select Weekly, Month(s) Year(s) to create a custom recurring billing cycle. Tick either Never (continuous billing until client cancels) or After, where you configure how many occurrences (how often) the billing should repeat.
- In the Notes field you can write any additional information/notes for the client.
- Click Save to save your recurring invoice billing configuration. All items entered can be edited later if needed.
Once an occurring invoice has been created, it can be edited or cancelled from the main invoices page. Clicking Edit will open the invoice back up for full editing.
When cancelling an invoice, you will first get a notification that future scheduled invoices will no longer be senthowever you can still manage invoices that were sent before the cancellation. Click Cancel or OK to cancel the invoices.
Go to Main Menu>Invoices>Archived Invoices.
The Archived Invoices page displays all invoices that have been archived. Once an invoice has been created, it cannot be deleted. However it can be moved in the archives section.